If you're running GoodNotes 3 on iOS 8 or later, it may no longer work. To migrate your files to the new version GoodNotes 4, you will need to install a recovery version through the Apple TestFlight app. This article walks you through it step by step.
Installing the recovery version
- Download the Apple TestFlight app to your iPad
- Install the recovery version of GoodNotes 3 on your iPad:
If you can't remember which version you used, download both. Then follow the instructions below to migrate your data.
Migrate Files using Data Extraction
- Open the Settings app, select GoodNotes on the left, and then turn on Extract App Data.
- Open GoodNotes again and the extraction process will begin automatically. When it is done, GoodNotes will close by itself.
- Then please connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Select your iPad and then open the Apps page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Apps page and select the GoodNotes 3 icon. The folder "extracted_app_data" should appear under "GoodNotes Documents". Drag this folder to your computer.
- Select GoodNotes 4 on the left and drag the extracted data folder from your computer to GoodNotes Documents in iTunes.
- Open GoodNotes 4 from your iPad and navigate to the library. It will ask you whether to import the data. If it doesn't work, please restart GoodNotes 4 and try again.
Migrate Files using Backup All:
If GoodNotes 4 doesn't open after selecting it in the "Open In" menu, please try backing up to iTunes and then transfer the backup file using your computer instead:
- Open GoodNotes 3, tap ... on the bookshelf toolbar, and then tap Backup All.
- Tap Backup, and then select iTunes.
- Connect your iPad to your computer with a USB cable.
- Open iTunes from your computer, select your iPad, and then open the Apps page. Scroll down to the "File Sharing" section and then select GoodNotes 3 icon on the left. A backup file should appear in the list. Drag and drop the backup file to your computer.
- Select GoodNotes 4 under the File Sharing section, and then drag the backup file from your computer to "GoodNotes Documents".
- From your iPad, open GoodNotes 4, tap + > Import > iTunes, and then tap the backup file to import.
Migrate Files in Batches:
If the above method doesn't work, some of the files in GoodNotes 3 may be corrupted, unfortunately. Please try the migration process a few more times because it will ignore documents that crashed the migration process. If it still doesn't work, you can try sending files to version 4 once folder at a time instead:
1. Tap Edit on the bookshelf toolbar
2. Tap Select All
3. Tap Export > External Apps > NOTES > OK
4. Choose GoodNotes 4