If you are running GoodNotes 3 on iOS 8 or later, it may no longer work. Please reach out to us via email. We will help you recovering your notebooks so that you can import them to GoodNotes 4.
Instructions to migrate files after you received the invitation to the recovery version from us:
Migrate Files using Data Extraction
- Open the Settings app, select GoodNotes on the left, and then turn on Extract App Data.
- Open GoodNotes again and the extraction process will begin automatically. When it is done, GoodNotes will close by itself.
- Then please connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. Select your iPad and then open the Apps page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Apps page and select the GoodNotes 3 icon. The folder "extracted_app_data" should appear under "GoodNotes Documents". Drag this folder to your computer.
- Select GoodNotes 4 on the left and drag the extracted data folder from your computer to GoodNotes Documents in iTunes.
- Open GoodNotes 4 from your iPad and navigate to the library. It will ask you whether to import the data. If it doesn't work, please restart GoodNotes 4 and try again.
Migrate Files using Backup All:
If GoodNotes 4 doesn't open after selecting it in the Open In menu, please try backing up to iTunes and then transfer the backup file using your computer instead:
- Open GoodNotes 3, tap ... on the bookshelf toolbar, and then tap Backup All.
- Tap Backup, and then select iTunes.
- Connect your iPad to your computer with a USB cable.
- Open iTunes from your computer, select your iPad, and then open the Apps page. Scroll down to the "File Sharing" section and then select GoodNotes 3 icon on the left. A backup file should appear in the list. Drag and drop the backup file to your computer.
- Select GoodNotes 4 under the File Sharing section, and then drag the backup file from your computer to "GoodNotes Documents".
- From your iPad, open GoodNotes 4, tap + > Import > iTunes, and then tap the backup file to import.
Migrate Files in Batches:
If the above method doesn't work, some of the files in GoodNotes 3 may be corrupted unfortunately. Please try the migration process a few more times because it will ignore documents that crashed the migration process. If it still doesn't work, you can try sending files to version 4 once folder at a time instead:
1. Tap Edit on the bookshelf toolbar
2. Tap Select All
3. Tap Export > External Apps > NOTES > OK
4. Choose GoodNotes 4