This article will show you all the different ways on how to import/add existing documents from other apps/locations into GoodNotes 5.
GoodNotes allows you to import PDF, Word, and PowerPoint documents from other locations into the app to annotate and organize them. There are several ways on how to import/add documents to your GoodNotes library.
1. Using the "Import" feature
You can import documents into GoodNotes without ever leaving the app. To do that, tap the + button in the documents tab and tap "Import". The "Files" app will open up automatically. Tap on any PDF, Word, PowerPoint, or GoodNotes document to import it into the app.
How to import multiple documents
The Files app interface doesn't support selecting multiple files, however, this can still be accomplished using drag & drop:
- Tap and hold on one of the files you want to import until it slightly lifts off the surface
- Start dragging it towards any direction to initiate the drag & drop interaction
- While holding on to the file, you can select other files you want to drag and drop with your other fingers by tapping on them. They will be grouped into a stack.
- With a free finger, tap on "Cancel" in the upper right. This will bring you back to GoodNotes
- Wait until the plus sign shows up in the corner of the stack of files you want to import and then lift your finger to drop them into the desired spot
2. Use "Open In" in the share sheet from other apps
You can send documents from other apps or locations into GoodNotes, for example, an attachment to an email. To do that, open or select the document in the other app and tap on the share button. Then, select "GoodNotes" from the list of apps. GoodNotes should open automatically and you can choose where you want to add the new document to.
The following options are available:
- Create a completely new document
- Add before/after the current page when a document is still open
- Append to any document in the library
3. Drag & Drop
Drag and drop is a very convenient way to add documents and other files, like images, to GoodNotes. If you don't know how drag & drop works, start off reading this article. Drag & drop can be a really powerful way to organize and work with your documents in GoodNotes. We've some tips and tricks and best practices on our blog:
- How to convert your handwriting to text using drag & drop
- Effortless document management in GoodNotes with drag & drop on the iPad
- Advanced drag & drop tips for GoodNotes (with videos)
4. Adding documents to existing documents
GoodNotes allows you to add documents to existing documents in your library. There are a few ways on how to do it, which is explained below.
- In an open document, tap the + button in the upper right of the navigation bar. You can either add a blank default page before or after the current page or tap on the downward facing arrow next to "Blank Page" and choose "Import".
- In an open document, open the thumbnail view. Tap the + button and choose "Import"
- From another app or location, tap the share button and choose "Open in GoodNotes" if a document is open, you'll have the option to add it below or above the opened page