What is Elements?
If you find yourself taking repetitious steps just to reuse the same content across different notebooks, the new Elements tool will come in handy because it lets you save content for efficient reuse. For example, you can save image stickers for decorating your notebooks, or signatures/stamps for personalizing your PDF documents.
Creating elements from existing content
An element can be anything created with GoodNotes tools, namely handwriting, highlightings, shapes, images, text boxes, and any combination of those. To help you keep things organized, GoodNotes requires that every element you create belong to a collection, which holds your creations in much the same way as a photo album holds photos.
Adding an image as an element
1. Select the Image tool, tap on an image twice, and choose Add Element.
2a. Tap an existing collection to add the element to.
2b. Choose New Collection..., name it, and tap Create. You're recommended to use descriptive names for your collections (e.g. signatures, stickers) so that you can easily find an element later.
Adding other content as an element
1. Select the Lasso tool, circle the content, tap the selection, and choose Add Element.
2. Choose an existing collection, or create a new one as above.
Adding photos and external images to an existing collection
1. Tap the Elements tool twice.
2. From the bottom scrollable list, tap the collection then its title at the top.
3. Tap Add Photos to add one or more photos from Photos, or "Import from..." to add an external image from Files.
Inserting elements back to the page works similarly to adding images with the Image tool. There are two ways:
- Select the Elements tool, tap on any location on the page, tap a collection from the bottom scrollable list, then tap on an element to insert it at that location.
- Tap the Elements tool twice. Then tap on any element to insert it in the middle of the page. Alternatively, you can drag and drop an element to a location on the page.
Important: Once an element is inserted to the page, it will stay selected as a whole until you tap outside the selection. Afterward, the element becomes a regular page object again, indistinguishable from other objects. For example, many built-in elements are composed of both an image and typed text (e.g. the "Sign here" sticker), and after inserting such an element and unselecting it, you'll need to use the Text tool to edit the text and the Image tool to edit the image.
Editing / Deleting a collection (including a built-in one)
1. Tap the Elements tool twice.
2. From the bottom scrollable list, tap the collection, then tap its title at the top.
3. You can then:
- Rename the collection: Change the "title" field.
- Add more images: Tap Add Photos if they're in Photos, or "Import from..." if they're in Files.
- Delete an element: Tap the red X on it.
- Delete the entire collection: Tap the ... icon near the top-right corner and choose Delete Collection.
Note: You might find that you can share a collection as a .bundle file. However, importing it is not yet supported as the Share option is meant as an internal tool for now, and we'll remove it to avoid confusion.
Tips & Tricks
You can separate the Elements tool in another window (Split View) so you can easily drag and drop elements to your notes. To do that, tap the Elements tool twice and tap the small split window icon:
You can then float the Elements window by dragging the handle at the top of the window into the GoodNotes window.