When will GoodNotes for Windows be available?
The first version of GoodNotes for Windows will arrive in 2023. However, you can already sign up to test the beta experience for free. Download here.
Who is eligible to beta-test GoodNotes for Windows?
Existing Microsoft users, or anyone with a Microsoft account, as you’ll need to use a Microsoft email address to sign in to GoodNotes on Windows. Additionally, we will be prioritizing student and teacher sign-ups for our first few rounds of beta invites!
What do I need to install and use GoodNotes for Windows?
- A Windows device/machine with at least 4 GB of RAM.
- A Microsoft account.
- The latest version of Microsoft Edge.
- An Internet connection.
You can use the following types of input to edit notebooks:
- Graphic tablet, typically used by visual designers.
- Microsoft Surface pen.
- Your fingers.
What is the difference between GoodNotes for iPadOS/iPadOS/macOS and GoodNotes for Windows [Beta]?
The GoodNotes on Windows beta is still a separate app from GoodNotes 5. Here are the key differences:
GoodNotes for Windows beta is currently free to use while we’re improving it.
It includes basic note-taking features:
- Writing, highlighting, and erasing notes
- Moving and resizing your writing with the Lasso tool
- A large library of paper templates to get you started, including planners, to-dos, squared paper, dotted paper, and more
Advanced features such as shape recognition, handwriting recognition, and the Elements tool aren’t available yet.
It’s an online-first experience, meaning you’ll need an internet connection for the optimal experience, and will need to sign in to your account.
- Since the beta version is still a work in progress, it may be a less polished experience. As with any beta release, you may encounter a few occasional bugs. Therefore, we recommend refraining from working on important documents using the beta version, as it is not the final product yet.
Is GoodNotes for Windows a subscription?
No. While testing the beta, you can use it completely for free. In exchange, we only ask for your feedback to help us improve it.
What are some current limitations of this beta version?
It has a few limitations compared to the iOS/iPadOS version and we ask for your patience as we continue pushing out frequent updates to perfect it. The most notable ones are listed below.
A limited number of notebooks
While in beta, the limit is 10 notebooks.
Not syncing with iOS GoodNotes 5 library
Being a separate note-taking app, your iOS GoodNotes library do not sync with Windows and Android.
We are working on providing different sync options at the moment. In order to access your iPad notes, you can generate a share link of your notebook to access it from Windows/Android/your browser. Here’s an article on how to do it.
Limited functionality or unavailability of some editing tools
For example, Text tools, among other things, are still under development.
Limited functionality of library management
For example, there isn’t a Trash Bin or an ability to create folders.
How can I send feedback and report bugs?
Your feedback is vital to making the product even better in the next iterations. Please send your feedback to email@example.com.
Downloading the beta
Why isn't the app available on the Microsoft Store for me to download?
There are several reasons:
- You haven't been invited to the beta yet. Unfortunately, joining the waitlist doesn't immediately grant you access to the beta app. You will need to keep waiting until a spot opens up and you receive an invitation email.
- You have been invited but didn't use the correct Microsoft Account.
Please try these steps:
- Log out of the current Microsoft Account.
- Log in to the same Microsoft Account that you used to join our waitlist.
- Try downloading the app again.
- You cannot log in to Microsoft Store with the same account on the waitlist. If your login details are correct, the account is likely a school or work one. Unfortunately, those accounts cannot be used to log in to the Microsoft Store. If that’s the case, you'll need to create a new personal Microsoft account and use it to join the waitlist again.
In other cases, please try the following:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Open "..." in the top-right corner > Downloads and updates > Get updates.
- Wait until the process is done and reboot your device.