You might have noticed when scrolling though pages on particular PDF pages, some pages might go blank / white background and the app slowly render your page content after a few seconds.
We do track performance of GoodNotes when processing various PDF files and we find that some files are "outliers" in how they perform. There are several reasons due to which a user finds PDF renders as blank page. Some of the major causes of this problem:
- The PDF file is large and your iPad is running out of memory which causes GoodNotes to experience delays in rendering existing and adjacent pages instantly.
- A damaged or corrupted PDF file.
If you have access to the source file, please convert it to a PDF with Zamzar.com and the situation should be improved. Alternatively, you can try to convert the PDF to images, then immediately convert those images to a PDF, which you can import into GoodNotes without this issue, though you'll lose the ability to search for its PDF text.
Alternatively, you can create such a PDF like this:
- Import this Make PDF shortcut into your Shortcuts library.
- Export the GoodNotes document as Image, disabling "Export Images as Zip File"
- Choose "Make PDF" from the Share sheet.
If none of that works, please contact Support team and provide additional details for better troubleshooting:
- What is the PDF file size?
- Does this symptom happen with other PDF files consistently?
- It would be helpful for our developers to investigate this case if you can send us a video to show the loading time, blank tiles when scrolling, a a sample PDF along with diagnostic logs from GoodNotes by opening Documents > GoodNotes Menus ⚙️ > About and tap Export Diagnostic Data.
Such information saves a lot of time and effort when investigating the bug.