Use the Text Tool for a variety of means, whether you want to create add typed sections to your handwritten notes, add a typed annotation to a PDF or add a title to the page. The Text Tool allows you to create and text across all your Notebooks in a wide variety of fonts and colors, with the option to save new defaults too.
Create a Text Box
Select the Text Tool in the Handwriting Toolbar and tap anywhere on the page to create a new Text Box. You can then move this Text Box with the handle on its top edge.
You can change the font, size, paragraph direction and colour of your text using the Text Style options.
- Tap on the Text Box while having the Text Tool selected.
- If formatting the entire text, you can skip this step. If formatting only some text, tap Edit and select that exact text.
- Format your text using the options provided in the Toolbar. The properties listed there from left to right are font name, font size, alignment and line spacing (applies to the whole text box), color, and text box style (also applies to the whole text box).
Tip: to bold, italicize, underline, or strike through some text, use the appropriate button in the topmost row of the virtual keyboard or, if you are using a physical keyboard, these options will appear in the pop-up text assistant at the bottom of the screen.
Create a list as you type
- To create a bulleted list, type a hyphen, a space, then the first list item, e.g. "- List item". Your hyphen will automatically become a bullet point and each new line you type will continue to be bulleted. To end your list, press Enter/Return to start a new bullet line, then press it again to cancel.
- To create a numbered list, type a number, a period and a space, then the first list item, e.g. "1. List item". Each new line you create will automatically be numbered. To end your list, press Enter/Return to start a new line as a numbered list, then press it again to cancel.
Save a default Text Box style
Goodnotes lets you save a default Text Box Style that will apply to all new text boxes.
1. Set the properties of the text style however you want it.
2. Tap the T icon with a blue heart on it and choose Save as Default. If Goodnotes is opened in Split View, tap on the Text tool icon again to find Save as Default.
Delete a text box
Select the Text Tool and tap the Text Box once, then choose Delete in the pop-up options. Alternatively, you can tap Edit on the selected Text Box and delete all its text.
Type on a full page
You can type on a full page with Full-Page Typing Tool. See here for more information.
Note: Text can't go past page boundaries. If you paste large amounts of text from the clipboard onto a Goodnotes page, part of the text might be hidden. It's advisable to copy and paste text in small chunks to avoid this or resize the entire text box to make it fit the page.